The Illusion of Successful change requires the top person

Richard Holloway learnshops at rciti.com
Sat Feb 24 07:29:51 PST 2001

Agreed.

It was Mary Parker Follett who said, "purpose is the invisible leader."
Indeed, purposeful groups self-organize.  Within this group, the "leadership
mantle" devolves and rotates through those combinations of individuals who
have the vision, skill or drive to realize that purpose.  It's rarely one
person who is the leader.  "Top" person, in these cases, refers to people
with authority (legal, political or organizational) to make the risk-filled
decisions...or not to make them, as is the case.

Once that manifest purpose is lost (as is often the case), then we rely on
structure and formal roles for leadership.  "Top" can then be a symbol for
stasis or for change.  This is why some "leaders" prefer to lead by
avoidable crises, as a means to generate purposeful behavior (including
their own).

I've come to believe that leadership is the capacity of a community to
successfully adapt itself to a changing environment, and the process of
developing that capacity (to paraphrase "The Dance of Change").

Open Space is often successful (I think) because it identifies the purpose
for coming together and provides the safe space for people to join and
organize themselves around that purpose.  The boundaries and delegated
authority for OS set by formal authority (when it's appropriate), the
purpose and the space create a place for people to be powerful, visionary
and risk-takers.  That's capacity for change.

Doc

'Love is helping others to complete themselves'- Bill O'Brien (The Dance of
Change)

Richard Charles Holloway -
P.O. Box 2361, Olympia, WA 98507 USA