small issues

Chris Weaver chris at springbranch.net
Tue Feb 20 13:53:41 PST 2001

Dear Gyuri,

Your comments are funny and beautifully written.  Thank you.

> The change is always painful. And the question
> for me is, how can people have accepted the pain, when they have rather a
> lot of weapons to defend themselves against it.

Rather a lot of weapons indeed.  Again to cite Birgitt, with whom I have
discussed this at some length:  Many of us, when confronting a clear choice
between continuing in compromised health or changing habits to move toward
deeper health, do not choose to change.

And of course, the sponsor must make the choice. I believe that the more
consciously the choice is made, the better will be the result for all, which
suggests the importance of careful and deeply honest pre-work.  I am
learning too that if I expect a sponsor to lay down some of those weapons, I
do well to lay down as many of my own as I can.  Sword and shield.

> It is a real question, if the "small leap" would be in terms of number of
> people concerned, a partial issue of the organization, or what. Let me
> invite everybody to contribute. To be honest, I don't have a good answer.

I don't have a good answer either.  (I think you are exactly right that
there is no such thing as being a little bit pregnant!)  But here is
something I am experimenting with.

In North American business there is quite a bit of attention right now on
"giving back"...community servanthood..."venture philanthropy."  I am right
now putting together a package for businesses that uses a one-day OST for
the employees to address the theme, "Serving our community in more
innovative ways."  A part of the vision for this initiative for me has been
that it is perhaps a "small issue" -- since it is outside normal business
operations, I am hoping that it is less threatening to business leaders and
more likely to invite them to lay down some of their "weapons."  So maybe we
are talking about "peripheral" issues, where managers can let go of more
control because the theme is not embedded in the central
control/accountability structures of the organization?

Is there an issue about which organizational leaders and members have
passion, that is peripheral to central operations?  Maybe this issue is a
good doorway for OST.

Chris

--
S   P   R   I   N   G   B   R   A   N   C   H

Opening the Space for Inspired Collaboration
P.O. Box 8234 / Asheville, NC 28814 / USA
Phone: 828 225-0007 / Fax: 828 225-0303
http://www.springbranch.net / chris at springbranch.net

F   A   C   I   L   I   T   A   T   I   O   N