Self-Organization is What Consciousness (Spirit) Does

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 30 15:41:31 PST 2001

At 05:53 PM 12/30/2001 -0500, Ralph Copleman wrote:

>(Well, we're two biased witnesses talking to each other...)  I'm sure you're
>not the only one with claustrophobic reactions to various interventions.  I
>know that I have experienced them and, no doubt, caused them, too.
>
>It's not only the 18(?) so-called large group interventions I'm referring
>to.  How about therapy or other one-to-one interventions?  In my experience,
>these can thwart as well as free folks.  Small group processes face/offer
>the same challenge.  But some of these (individual or group) techniques do
>open new paths, offer break-through insights, and facilitate new levels of
>cooperation.  And let's not forget meditation.
>
>All kinds of issues face all kinds of people and systems.  We need to be
>thoughtful in our approaches.  Of course, for my money, if you can't open a
>little space for folks, the odds may be against you.
>
>--
>Ralph Copleman
>609-895-1629

Whether we are talking one-to-one therapy or a large group intervention for
1500, I think my question, and therefore the "metric," might still be
valid. How much space do we have -- and how much can we create? I remember
spending 2 and 1/2 years on the couch (4 days a week) of a classical
Freudian analyst. And all I can tell you -- that Dude did create space. The
most he ever said was a mildly expressive grunt -- but it did open things
up. I found myself wondering what many of my clients seem to wonder -- why
was I paying this character $100 an hour for grunts? -- and Hell, I don't
even grunt.  But that which was purchased (I learned) was not "grunts" --
but space.  I needed it. I grew in it, and it was worth every penny. And
not incidentally, the experience created a whole mess of space in my wallet.

So back to the original -- How Much Space? Can you stand. Can you create.
Can the "client" tolerate? And choose your weapons accordingly. Question:
When you said, "And let's not forget meditation." did you really mean
mediation?

>Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA