Self-Organization is What Consciousness (Spirit) Does

Ralph Copleman ralph at earthdreams.net
Sun Dec 30 14:53:20 PST 2001

> To your last point-- " .... that OS is not the only technique (large group or
> other) that makes expanded consciousness possible." For sure. But it seems to
> me that there might be a useful "metric" here of sorts. Specifically in terms
> of other large group interventions and the place that Open Space may hold
> amongst them -- we might ask, how much space does each intervention offer? I
> can't say that I have been through all 18 (if that is the magic number), but I
> can say that some of those 18 which i have experienced make me feel absolutely
> claustrophobic, and others less so. It is only when I enter Open Space that I
> begin to feel fully free to be my self, and fully explore my/our
> possibilities. Obviously I am a very biased witness, and others will feel
> differently -- which is as it should be. But I think the question remains
> valid -- How much space do we really have?

Harrison,

(Well, we're two biased witnesses talking to each other...)  I'm sure you're
not the only one with claustrophobic reactions to various interventions.  I
know that I have experienced them and, no doubt, caused them, too.

It's not only the 18(?) so-called large group interventions I'm referring
to.  How about therapy or other one-to-one interventions?  In my experience,
these can thwart as well as free folks.  Small group processes face/offer
the same challenge.  But some of these (individual or group) techniques do
open new paths, offer break-through insights, and facilitate new levels of
cooperation.  And let's not forget meditation.

All kinds of issues face all kinds of people and systems.  We need to be
thoughtful in our approaches.  Of course, for my money, if you can't open a
little space for folks, the odds may be against you.

--
Ralph Copleman
609-895-1629