Self-Organization is What Consciousness (Spirit) Does

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 28 16:05:54 PST 2001

At 12:11 PM 12/28/2001 -0900, you wrote:
>Since entering the periphery of the OS world, I ve been mystified by what
>happens with the conflict that I know must exist in these groups.  Now I
>wonder: does it fade away because the OS experience itself has helped the
>group expand its consciousness and outgrow it?
>
>If that is at least partially true, then I m beginning to understand more
>deeply the difference between OS and mediation (and perhaps most forms of
>group facilitation).  Let me see if I can get this right:
>
>By letting go and letting be, OS allows for an expanded consciousness that
>results in the natural fading of existing problems (and passionate
>engagement in what is important to the group), while most forms of
>mediation and facilitation tend to focus on solving problems logically on
>the existing level of consciousness.

By Jove -- I think she's Got it! Conflict can be handled (indeed it is a
very positive thing) so long as there is plenty of space, and the space
keeps growing. At a physical level this is all about the Law of Two Feet.
At a more subtle level, I agree Julie -- it is about expanding
consciousness. A bigger Now that allows plenty of room for all sorts of
differences which become conflict if too narrowly constrained.

  Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA