Self-Organization???? (to Peggy)

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Mon Dec 17 09:14:47 PST 2001

Artur,

Thanks for the furthering this discussion.  I believe all 18 methods have the potential to create good meetings and to profoundly transform.  I do know of example of profound change for each of the 18 methods that I looked at. I would not consider it enough to say that I have empirical evidence for my statement to be more than an opinion.  And I would heartily agree with your quote from Peter Senge that "...there's enough evidence of success to say that change is possible and enough evidence of failure to say that it isn't likely."  I wouldn't say that all methods are equal, just that profound change is possible with all of them.  In other words, there are factors beyond method that are likely to make the difference.  My belief (and I don't have sufficient empirical evidence for it to be more than an opinion) is that while method may be one factor in success or failure the beliefs of the facilitator are an even greater factor.

I seem to recall that you have an information systems background, as do I.  In the early days, were you ever in discussions about which programing language is best for a given task?  Often, the conclusion we'd reach is that it is possible to program anything in any language.  While some languages are more conducive to particular tasks than others, in the hands of a skilled programmer, it is possible to make anything work.

I think it is the same with methods.  The core beliefs of the facilitator influence their actions and the unspoken cues they send.  Are there methods that are better fits in different circumstances?  You bet.  And yet, I can take the similar circumstances and put different facilitators in them using the same method and get results with widely differing impact.  Further, I believe I could take the same facilitator, use different methods and get similar results.  I don't have empirical evidence for this.  It is an opinion reached by observation of, discussion with, and reading of comments from a variety of people using a variety of methods.  I think what started me down this path was the deep conviction of virtually every expert that their way was the most effective.  One thing they all had in common was an expectation that what they were doing worked and worked profoundly.  Additionally, there was the evidence of talking with people using these same methods in similar circumstances and getting much less powerful results.  What was different?  I think this is fertile ground for research.

My untested theory is the factors involved in success include sponsor beliefs (particularly around their passion for and audaciousness of the desired future, sense of invitation to particpate, generosity of spirit), facilitator beliefs (particularly around people's capacity to act wisely for the good of the whole as well as themselves), and method.  I'd love to hear other perspectives on this.

By the way, the reason Open Space is so core to my own practice is it makes it so visible that people have the capacity to create what they want.  I have seen other methods get people there but there's something so elegant in OS's simplicity in enabling people to live this experience.  And at a practical level, there's something that Harrison mentions a lot.  If I can accomplish the same thing with a lot less work, doesn't that make sense to do?

Peggy