Heart of America Bus Tour - The Pulse of a Nation

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Wed Dec 5 10:10:09 PST 2001

Esther,

The bus tour is something of a traveling open space on "Bringing the heart of what you love to the challenge of creating a world
free of terrorism."  A project summary is below.

The details are at
www.bountifultable.org

Peggy

Project Summary

Bountiful Table, a Seattle based non-profit, is leading an event entitled "The Heart of America Bus Tour", crossing the country as a community-outreach vehicle for change.  Each stop will gather cross-cultural, multi-generational and interfaith communities to map a route to greater understanding of our times.

In the days after September 11th, along with the horror and devastation, there has also been a huge heart opening in individuals and communities across the United States, and throughout the world.  The Heart of America Bus Tour specifically addresses this extraordinary opportunity to support healing, and accelerate the visibility of already emergent thinking and practices of community.

The Bus Tour will travel across the United States, leaving Seattle on Thanksgiving Day and arriving in New York in time for Christmas.  The Bus Tour will connect and strengthen the foundational "spirit of giving" that has come pouring forward in this time.  Trusting in, and bringing forward, that spirit of giving is at the heart of our ability to transcend terrorism.

Nov 21 Seattle, WA

Nov 24-25 Missoula, MT

Nov 30-Dec 2 Chicago, IL

Dec 14-16 Washington, DC

Dec 19-23 New York City

These remarkable community events are receiving phenomenal response across the country.  In Missoula alone, 25 local community sponsors including the PROP Foundation and the YWCA of Missoula are providing local infrastructure and community networks to support the event.   In Chicago, the event will be held in St Jerome's School in the diverse Rogers Park Neighborhood.  The associated church congregation is largely Mexican American and one of the larger Arab communities also lives in the neighborhood.  The local Community Center is working with our local contact to set up in-home dinners and a reception.

Actions in each city will include:

Community Conversations: Using "Open Space" (a self-organizing method of facilitating communication/action) we will support the inherent creativity and leadership in each community.  People will select and offer topics that they care about for consideration, and have opportunity to reflect and learn from one another.

Understanding other Cultural Views: Expand awareness through conversation and sharing of family meals with Afghan, Pakistani, and other Middle Eastern Cultures.

Grandmothers Circles:  Soliciting the wisdom of our elders through a circle of shared conversation led by community elders.

Public Art, Expressions of Hope and Healing: Trained facilitators will guide participants beyond words to express their visions of hope and healing for our collective future. The resulting work will be used to produce a video and written documentary of the journey in conjunction with a collection of poetry.

Spirited Play with Voices of Children: A program specifically designed to provide an expressive avenue for families and young children through art, movement, music and games.

Roundtable breakfasts: To support and strengthen the culinary communities' commitment to service by preparing meals together and providing for emergency meal and community shelter programs.

Multi Faith Gathering:  Bringing people from all faiths and traditions together as a show of strength and determination to build a community that honors Earth, Spirit and the Human Future

Bountiful Table Feast and Celebration: A multi-cultural gathering around one table to acknowledge our interconnectedness, enjoy good food, story telling, and friendship. This is an opportunity to reflect on our blessings and gifts.

Day Trips: Invitations to community leaders and teachers, students, chefs, scientists, artists, native elders, politicians, poets, musicians, philosophers, farmers, spiritual leaders and others to join segments of our trip.  We will share the content of these interactions through our website and have the dialogues available at the classroom level.
How You Can Help:
The events in each community are free and open to the public.  Your contribution ensures that everyone's voice will be heard.  Please give generously!

Please mail your tax-deductible donation to
Whidbey Institute / Bountiful Table
PO Box 991
Clinton, WA. 98236
OR Donate using your credit card by going on-line to www.bountifultable.org

For more information please contact Sarah-Jane Menato (206) 285-3274