Contacting the Governor?

Glory Ressler on.the.edge at sympatico.ca
Sat Dec 8 10:30:38 PST 2001

The following came to me through Tom Atlee... I think there is an
opportunity to use OST here, should anyone care to contact the
Governor... Tom intends to do so with regard to his co-intelligence and
deep democracy work...

best to all,
glory

Excerpts from
http://www.governor.state.or.us/governor/speeches/s010907.htm
Speech to Sustainability Forum September 7, 2001
by Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber, M.D.

Thomas Jefferson... espoused what has been called the "politics of
engagement," a model in which people work together in a spirit of
cooperation to find common ground and solve mutual problems. The
Jeffersonian model rests on the conviction that people are essentially
reasonable, and will work to achieve the common good if they can agree
on or be brought to understand what it is....

Nowhere does our current political structure offer a place where people
can come together to balance the needs of the larger
community.....[T]here is a gap in our system of governance -- a gap that
has everything to do with our ability to create a sustainable future....
What government [currently] does not do very well.... is to bring people
together to solve problems - especially when the problems are complex
and the solutions require the participation of many people....

[I]t is now time to build the structure that will give us a place to
come together to solve the problems and seize the opportunities of today
that our current government system cannot or will not address...

1. Telephone by calling:

      Governor's Citizen Representative Office at
        (503) 378-4582, 24 hours

2. Mail by writing to:

      Governor John Kitzhaber
      State Capitol Building