Media and Open Space

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 03:29:41 PDT 2001

Andrew Donovan

Here is our experience with media in open space:
1.  We inform all participants before starting that journalists are
in the audience.

2. We ask participants how they would like to deal with this issue:

2.1 Ask media to leave

2.2 If media stays, they have to participate.

2.3 If media want to use anything arising in group or commenity
sessions, they have to ask permission from the participants
concerned.

2.4 Are there any other ground rules?

We had a rural event on mental health and the sponsors managed to get
three reporters and one television station to attend.  However,
participants would not allow the TV station into the community room
and the sponsor had to simulate a group discussion using staff.  This
probably was the first time a TV crew was barred from a community
event!

Good luck.

Cheers

Kerry Napuk