noticing worldwide open space leadership

Michael Herman mherman at globalchicago.net
Mon Aug 27 11:23:15 PDT 2001

hello everyone...

vancouver was the fifth osonos gathering that i've been part of as a
real or virtual participant.  every one of these five events seems to
have had it's own special purpose and contribution to the growth of our
worldwide community.  for me, our vancouver gathering wss about history,
supported by the longhouse location and our hosts' personal connections
to the old native ways and people of vancouver.

i had many butterfly conversations about history and leadership and
worldwide community emerging, as well as posting and capturing the
regional development issue which is posted in the proceedings at the
osw.org site and the bigmind discussions.  in this message, i want to
post some of the clarity i've found about worldwide leadership here,
acknowledging some of the 'lineages' that i see emerging and inviting
you to add to and offer thanks to others who i might have missed in my
experience and/or listingmaking here.

i've come to see worldwide open space as held together by perhaps five
major bits of infrastructure, which remain organic, fresh and emergent.
here is my listing of the current incarnations of these bits (with the
core needs they've satisfied in parenthesis).  for many years, harrison
did it all:  gatherings, trainings, writing, metanet conversations, and
selling.  over the years, others have added to and extended his work in
these areas.

i offer the following list as a framework for noticing our worldwide
(still self-organizing) infrastructure and for acknowledging and
thanking those i've noticed as leaders and spaceholders in sustaining
the practice(s) that harrison initiated and continues still.  please
post a reply if you want to acknowledge anyone i've missed here...

1.  OSONOS and OT conferences (face-to-face)
-harrison owen, convener of osonos events 1-4, OT1-18
-birgitt williams, larry peterson, linda stevenson, osonos 5 toronto
-peggy holman, susan claire and linda olson, osonos 6 monterey
-michael herman and sheila isakson, osonos 7 chicago
-michael pannwitz and friends, osonos 8 berlin
-chris corrigan and laurel doersam, osonos 9 vancouver
-brian bainbridge and viv mcwaters, osonosinoz melbourne
-john adams, ot-2 (i think)
-ralph copleman and friends, ot-19

2.  www.openspaceworld.ORG (portal to text record)
-harrison owen, four books in print and more
-tales from open space authors
-peggy holman, change handbook
-anne stadler, learning in open space video
-birgitt williams and larry peterson, early articles
-barry owen, global osi website, articles repository
-koos de heer, introduced bulletin board software
-michael herman, barry, peggy built osw.org
-whole cast of translators of osw.org into eight languages
-harrison, michael, birgitt williams, larry peterson, chris corrigan,
michael pannwitz, personal websites with major open space resource
sections

3.  www.openspaceworld.COM (training epi-center)
-harrison owen, several iterations of training courses
-larry peterson, birgitt williams, suzanne maxwell, michael pannwitz,
brian bainbridge, jeff aitken, tom thiss, linda stevenson, ralph
copleman, michael herman and others who've hosted trainings and
training-design conversations
-anne stadler and friends, spiritedwork gatherings in seattle
-birgitt williams, genuine contact program that includes OST

4.  OSLIST (ongoing conversation and learning)
-frank burns, lisa kimball, douglass carmichael and friends at metanet,
forerunner to OSLIST
-listmeister, murli nagasundaram
-many leaders, who we've all noticed asking questions and offering
answers, since 1996 i think

5. OSI local/regional group leaders (local administration)
-peggy holman, anne stadler, joelle everett, birgitt williams, larry
peterson and friends who started the first two osi groups in usa and
canada
-michael pannwitz, brian bainbridge, john engle and others who've
followed in germany, australia and haiti
-birgitt and peggy and others who've made trips to do trainings and
start groups elsewhere
-peggy holman, sales of cd-rom and video resources

many many thanks to all, michael

--

Michael Herman
300 West North Avenue #1105