OS and AI

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 30 05:19:57 PDT 2001

At 01:18 AM 4/30/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear OSLIST,
>
>Peg Holman and I are being bumblebees.
>
>We're both on the OS and AI listserves (along with BJ Peters and probably
>others).  Peg compiled the OS/AI thread messages from our list a couple
>days ago and posted them on the AI list.  Here are two responses from
>Bernard J. Mohr which I found to be important and
>illuminating.  Information about joining the AI list is included at the bottom.
>
>Buzzingly Yours,
>Chris Weaver

Chris and Peggy -- thanks for putting all this up on the LIST. There is
absolutely nothing in what Bernard has said that I can take any exception
to. AI works. It is fantastic, it does the job. All true. It is also true
that one has to work pretty hard to make AI work -- before, during and
after. Perhaps not as much as with such things as Future Search (which also
works, is fantastic and does the job!!!) -- but if you can achieve
substantially the same results in a more economical fashion (and I think OS
does that -- my experience and certainly to be challenged) -- why should
you work so hard? I often joke about OS being the ultimate scam. The client
does all the work, and even writes the report. And there is a certain truth
to that. But I think there is something more. If you look at the world we
live in -- which shows up often on this LIST (see Tova's report from The
Middle East), it becomes clear that the issues, situations, and
opportunities are so multiple, complex, and fast changing that economy is
very important. A long time ago, I had some psychiatrist colleagues who
felt that the way to deal with community issues and conflict was to apply
their skills to the situations -- and so we got something called "Community
Psychiatry." Great idea, and in the instances where it was effectively
applied, I know that it worked -- well. BUT -- We do not have the money,
time, or the trained personnel  available to use that approach around the
globe.

There is one point in Bernard's comments that I might take small issue
with. He said, if I remember correctly that  a common goal for us all is to
"create" organizations that effectively work for the people involved and
the to deal with the tasks at hand. I think that may not be necessary.
Indeed, my experience from Open Space and elsewhere is that effective
organization happens all by itself. It is called self-organization, and our
efforts at organization tend to be marginal at best, or at worst
counter-productive. I do have to smile at series of workshops offered at a
soon to be held conference in Vienna -- all dealing with organizing
self-organizations????!!!!!

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive