Using open space to aid race relations

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Apr 16 09:49:51 PDT 2001

Susan:

I have used Open Space Technology in a few different "Race relations"
contexts here in Vancouver.  Notable was a meeting dubbed as a
"community-to-community" forum between local governments and First
Nations leaders.  You can find that story, and a few others, on my web
site at http://www.chriscorrigan.com

Your initial worry about using OST with highly charged groups in
conflict may be wondering what will happen if conflict breaks out.  In
my experience, there are three things that mitigate this in Open Space.
First is the Law of Two Feet which acknowledges the power of each
individual to choose which conversations to engage in.  If one is in a
conversation that is making one uncomfortable or which seems
unproductive, one can move somehwere else.  Second, the Law of Two Feet
means that in setting the agenda, topics of personal passion come to the
forefront.  I have had many participants comment that this fact alone
means that people are gathered around meainingful topics, and not
pre-set agenda items which can serve as a lightening rod for the real
issues of conflict.  As a result, conversations in Open Space tend to be
more respectful and leave participants with a greater understanding of
each other's perspectives.

Third, the lack of a facilitator in the small groups means that people
have nowhere else to turn to for help in resolving conflict.  The
realization slowly dawns on people that there is no one else to solve
their problems, and that the solution lies with each person in the
room.  This is a powerful learning and serves to empower communities to
come together to pursue collaborative solutions.

THat has been my experience.  I think that if you issued an invitation
to the community, people would certainly self-select for a useful
gathering.

Good luck with it.  There is no time like the present, and sometimes, no
present like time (and a little space!)

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN