languages

Ralph Copleman earthdreams at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 10 06:26:59 PDT 2001

Regarding opening the space in different languages...

I have done this twice, once in Spanish, and another time in both Kurdish
and Arabic.  I speak only English, so I had to have help.

Everything I said was translated into the other languages as I spoke, and
this worked just fine.  I made a point of doing things as I spoke:

1.  I used none of the little metaphors, analogies, jokes, or idiomatic
remarks I normally employ with American groups.
2.  I broke up my presentation into small pieces, letting the translator
deal with only one or two sentences at a time, or even just a simple phrase,
such as "Principle number one." etc.

I think it's also important to keep in mind that the meetings we facilitate
have specific purposes (such as coordinating volunteer efforts).  These
purposes are the reason our clients hire us, not to demonstrate that
self-organization works.  Self-organization, by definition, happens, even
when we inadvertently get in its way.  I don't think we could be the
guardians of such a process even if we knew all about it.  Even during
break-out sessions, have all the translators you want.

--
Ralph Copleman
www.earthdreams.net