OS in Publishing

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Thu Apr 19 16:45:30 PDT 2001

Greetings from Berkeley, California, USA --

I am talking to two prospective clients who are interested
in using Open Space, but I would like to share some stories
with them, if you have them.

Have any of you used Open Space or variations with

book publishers
magazine publishers
newspaper publishers

??

A classic dynamic in a publishing company, large or small,
is that Production and Editorial departments do not always
get along, or understand each others' cultures and languages
and needs.  And nobody understands Marketing, and so on.  So
when it comes time to talk about productivity or financial
efficiency, nobody really gets how everyone depends on
everyone and how missing your timeline affects the whole
product, not just your department.

Hmmm.  Sounds like a million industries to me...

I think what they need is...an Open Space!  Don't you?

(did you ever hear of a doctor prescribing the same drug for
almost everything?  I mean, I use other tools in my toolbox
besides Open Space Technology, and I know when another
approach to group process will be more appropriate, given
dynamics and need.  But you all know what I mean when I say
I sometimes see perfect situations for OS, and here is
another one...)

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Lisa Heft