story board

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Sat Sep 30 21:14:13 PDT 2000

My experience is that the time you described is the worst time for a
space invader to try and control the process because at that point it is
moving into full fledged chaos.  So that is one point in your favour.
However, I think you handled the situation well by asking her to post a
topic.  If pressed I would clarify with her that what she was saying
makes sense, and it's useful to invite people who are interested to do
it with her.

As I was saying this stuff, I think I would stand close to her and allow
the chaos in the room to develop it's own momentum.  It would be
important not to let her comanndeer the troops.

That might be another way to have handled it, but it would have had the
same result, so basically was there anything wrong with how you handled
it?

It would be interesting to know if the woman forgot her concern once the
discussions started or whether or not she held onto that stake and let
it bother her as much as it did you!

My suspicion, and it's only a hunch, is that she probably figured out
how things worked and got busy rather than dwelling too much.

It's a fine line between leaving people to their own devices and
abandonning them.  But that's what holding the space is about.  And you
obviously held the space and let it remain open so that the group could
get down to it.

Now, I would like to invite YOU to start a discussion at
http://www.tmn.com/new on stories of handling space invaders.  I have a
few as do others....

Chris

--