Open Space story from a Swedish school

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Mon Sep 18 17:38:31 PDT 2000

Hi Thomas;

Thanks for your story of the school. Every time I do open space I feel
privileged to share the experience of wonder of the participants. Even in my
most anxious moments (a group asking me to come in and do conflict
mediation...which I refused), the results have been amazing.
Regarding the matrix: One of the things that works well is coloured post it
notes (thanks to advice from Birgitt). I set up the grid ahead of time on a
piece of flip chart with the times down the left and the rooms across the
top (just labelled A,B, C ect....I write the actual room under the letter
once I am in the facility and know where these places are). I suppose that
you could put a grid on a paper and have it laminated for repeat use. Then
you can just use erasable markers (like white board markers) to fill in the
specific times and places. I find the preparation of the grid and the
principles etc. are part of my ritual of preparing myself for the event.

I usually set up more places than I think we will need so I am ready for
Jimbo's happy problem of too many topics. I just fold this behind the sheet
and unfold it if they are needed. That way not too many get posted in one
time slot if there are only a few topics but more spaces are available as
needed. I write the room and time on each post-it note, using one colour for
each time slot. That makes it easy for participants to pick out which topics
are which time when the wall is self-organized all over the place!! (I know
that sometimes we set up labels on the wall for time slots, but of course
not everyone is compliant.)  Now, I did have a senior moment one time when I
did this and matched the colour to the room rather than the time. It was
good research to see the effectiveness, because people could not find the
right times easily and kindly suggested that it might be better to put the
same colours all on one time!! More affirmation that the wisdom is in the
group!

Just to add a not to all: I have been lurking, reading and reflecting on the
many marvelous stories and challenges to my thinking about open space for
the past few months. I have not taken the time to contribute and express my
thoughts. My  appreciation to those prolific contributors who do.

Michelle

Michelle Cooper RN, MScN
The Cooper Group Consultants
200 Crestview Avenue