Reply now to join the OpenSpaceTechnologyTaiwan group

Jim Clark jimbo at wfc.com.tw
Wed Sep 6 04:55:42 PDT 2000

We just finished our first Open Space Technology Basic Training this past
weekend.

We had over 20 participants, and it was a wonderful time of exploring both the
explicate, nuts and bolts of Open Space, and also the hidden, implicate order
that emerges in an Open Space meeting.

We offered three one-day OS events for people who wanted to attend this training
so they had the opportunity to experience OS.  About half of the group had also
experienced other OS events in their company or in their past (there were four
participants that were with Harrison when he opened space for an ICA conference
back in the late 80s).

The flow of the hand out and course design was to follow my process when
preparing for an OS event from the time I first talk to the Sponsor about
whether OS is really appropriate, to following up with the sponsor after the
event.  The slides themselves are very nuts and bolt in nature as some of the
participants can't read English well, so they can't follow the user's guide.

What I found was that having everything clear in paper allowed us to get "off
track" (if that is possible) and explore a lot of issues of a deeper nature.

One of my own personal breakthroughs was the integration of a lot of the
conversations that have been happening recently on the list serve about the
nature of OPEN SPACE and Open Space and opening space.  It seems to me that
space is.  We might label it "open" or "closed", but in the end, that is the
label that we are putting it on it, and when I label it "closed" for me it is
closed, but regardless of the label I give it, Space is.  The most powerful
thing I can do in an OS event (and in my life I guess) is acknowlege that the
space is there, and by acknowleging it, give those around me permission to
acknowlege (revel?) in that too.

One of the decisions was to start a local list serve for those that attended,
and for other people interested in learning about OS in Taiwan.  If you would
like to join this group (no idea where it will go...) you can send an email to
this address:

OpenSpaceTechnologyTaiwan-subscribe at egroups.com

Or check the email below about how to sign up.

If anyoe is interested in a set of the materials I am happy to share them.  We
have two versions, one in English only, the other in English and Chinese.  Reply
to the following address and I'll mail them to you.

jimbo at wfc.com.tw

I would like to thank Peggy Holman for her support in arranging books, and would
like to send out a big messy hug and a kiss to Birgitt for providing me with an
excellent ground work from which to dive into OS this year.  It has been a great
9 months since I went to Hamilton.  In that time I've had the opportunity to
Open Space more than 20 times, there are now a number of people in our company
who are competent at running OST meetings, and most importantly it has deepened
my commitment to myself and (growing) family, that we acknowlege that we are
living in Open Space.

I would also like to thank all of you for sharing your wisdom on a daily basis.
If I hadn't signed up for this List Serve, I would never have had the confidence
in the process to fly half way round the world to get trained, and taken the
leap of faith to begin offering this style of meeting in our company.

With respect from Afar,

Jimbo

---------------------- Forwarded by JIMBO/ALE on 09/05/2000 04:47 PM

OpenSpaceTechnologyTaiwan moderator