Questions and links to Spiral Dynamics

Larry Peterson lpasoc at inforamp.net
Sun Sep 10 11:31:29 PDT 2000

I have been exploring Spiral Dynamics for about a week now that I'm reading
"A Theory of Everything".  Ken Wilbur is moving his ideas toward more
specific application and he thinks "Spiral Dynamics" is right on to his
image of nested holons.  I'm going to explore it more and thanks for the web
site.  Ken's article is pretty much what he put in the book.

To me it is an elaboration of Harrision's (and Eric Trist's) Reactive,
Responsive, Pro-active, Interactive, Inspired.  Ken Wilbur's thinking about
stages and transformation has got my wheels turning about what
"transformation" in organizations really means.  There is transformative
experience, which may or may not shift the organization to a new stage of
consciousness or necessarily create the conditions for the new stage to
become an ongoing trait.  I agree with Birgitt that that the shift is
turbulent and the formal leadership is citical to making it an ongoing
trait. There is a translative task that has to "work--be grokked" for the
leadership and the organization to sustain the shift.  I'm working with a
couple of clients in large systems now who have used enough Open Space that
I can begin to experience the dynamics there.

Spiral Dynamics, as I understand it, helps to clarify metaphors for the
coherent states.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation