Berlin Connection

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Thu Oct 26 04:48:23 PDT 2000

Hello John, Hello all:

At 09:44 26-10-2000 +0000, john engle wrote:
>friends in open space,
>
>... just a quick word.  the berlin osonos was an extra-ordinary experience

Extraordinary, indeed. I have "material" for reflection upon action" for years;
I hope the same is true to everybody that attended

>for me.  this was my fourth osonos.  in addition to seeing some friends who
>are becoming very special to me, what made it particularly good for me were
>two things:
>
>1) greater diversity in terms of countries/experiences represented
>2) the value that it seems that so many people involved are placing on
>continuing to enlarge the circle and even make osonos more diverse,
>especially having people come from southern countries.

Enlarging the circle, enlarging diversity is, IMHO, the main question
for the OS mouvement in the next years.

For my part I am making contacts to, until the end of the year, open
space to:

- teachers, staff, and students of a Portuguese University;

- people from the african portuguese speaking comunitty
living in Portugal (1 million, more or less)i, in the sense not of
doing desimpowered "charity", but to identify and then train a
group of african facilitators, that can work with their communities
here and back in their countries.

- reestablish contacts with old friendes in Spain, France
and Angola to try to spread the message.

- participate, with the other european participants that joined in the
morning of the last day to create an european network, eventually
an european association, and, for sure, an european OSonOS
as soon as possible, maybe even preceding the Canada world wide
event. Speakinf for myself I think that any africans (and, by the way,
any others) would be very welcome to this conference.

Westers have in this last 2000 years "spread a word" of dead (tentative of
aniquilition of natives in the US, Canada, South America and Australia)
or transforming them in slaves (Africa, Brasil, USA); and are still selling
the arms for every war in the planet. Now, finally, we have an open
spirited message to spread around, at the same time enriching and
changing our methods and experience with that inter-cultural contact
end enriched diversity community.

As open space has always stressed the need for diversity, and I have
never seen these figures, can any one please tell me, refering
to US and Canada:

- what is, more or less, the numer of praticioners there (I mean facilitators);

- how many are black (devided by men and women, if that his possible)

- how many come from the spanhish speaking comunity;

- how many came from asian cultures?

Thanks and have a good open and spirited future

Artur