[Fwd: Open Space]

Nuran Yigit nuran.yigit at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Oct 30 04:51:22 PST 2000

Selâm open-space,
its again me. The following e-mail is for all people who might be
interested in the question of open-space in schools concerning
"multicultural" society.
Christina from Denmark sent me an e-mail concerning this question and I
answered.
I thought maybe this topic is also interesting for others on the list
and a discussion and exchange in the list on this issue could start.
Thanks for attention,
Nuran

Dear Iris and Nuran

A little greeting from Copenhagen, Denmark and maybe an invitation to
exchange experiences conserning Open Space seminars !

I have received your email adresses from Gerard Muller, who met you at
the yearly worldwide Open Space on Open Space
(OSonOS) in Berlin. He tells me, that the three of us might have some
interesting things to talk about, but still I don't know what the two of
you are involved with.

So let me say a few things about my own ideas and Open Space visions. I
still haven't done an Open Space on my own, but I have participated in
several, led my Gerard.
My intension is soon to invitate different people employed in public
schools (teachers and managers) to discuss: Are we a danish folkschool
or a multicultural school....?!

This question and problems that arise from it are so "hot" in Denmark at
the moment, especially at those school that have around 50% or more
children from ethnic
minorities. The whole issue: Is Denmark a multicultral society ? (which
I believe certainly we are) is very debated at the moment.

My experience from working with these things in Denmark is that many
schools (and other institutions) still haven't accepted the fact that
the proces of having developed
into a much more multicultural society than before is irreversible. I
believe the acceptance is essential as a starting point to handle the
problems that rise in a
solution-oriented way. And start treating the multicultral school not
only as a problem but also as an institution with many potentials !

I would love two hear about any relatede experiences and thoughts that
you might have.

Sincerly

Christina B. Jagd

Christina Bækkelund Jagd
Konsulent, cand. scient. anth.
Teknologisk Institut
Center for Arbejdsliv
Gregersensvej
Postboks 141
2630 Taastrup
Direkte tlf.: 72 20 26 48
Fax: 72 20 26 21
mailto:christina.b.jagd at teknologisk.dk

Dear Christina and hello to the others, who are going to read this
e-mail,

thank you very much for your e-mail. It is very interesting to hear some
development from Denmark concerning the question of schools with
children from different "cultural" backgrounds.
I don't know a lot about denmark, but maybe it is helpful for you to
hear, what is happening in Germany about this question.
For sure there are many other people who are more active in this field
than me and maybe it would be more interesting for you to exchange with
them (if you want, I can find people from the "field" to discuss).
My perspective into this subject is an "inner"perspective, because I
grow up as a "foreigner" in my home-country Germany. I am born in Turkey
and my parents immigrated when I was 2 years old. I grew up here in
germany, visited german schools, worked in germany, studied in
Germany...

So, Germany and "Multiculturalism": There is a lot to say. Since a long
time, more than 15 years, there is a discussion about multicultural
germany, started with the question "Is Germany a multicultural
society?", went on in questions on "Living in a multicultural society"
and lets say ended with the question of the "death of the multicultural
society". What happened? The problem was the definition of multicultural
society. The popular opinion about this was, foreign food and drinks
(Döner, pasta, Gyros etc.), folkloric dances and clothes etc. were
welcome to enrich the german society. The highlights were then
intercultural food and dance festivals. Multicultural in this meaning
was, all NOT-germans, called as "foreigners", were allowed to show the
positive sites of  "their" culture. This social enrichment is in my
opinion a positive racism, a stereotypism of  different "cultures".
The problem of this "multicultural" concept was, that in the political
life, the representative life, the participation in all fields of the
society was NOT given. The idea of the "multiculturalism" was to divide
the society in real GERMANS and the "ethnic" minorities with their own
"culture".
So, no success for this way of living and practising "multiculturalism".

Back to your question.

> My intension is soon to invitate different people employed in public
> schools (teachers and managers) to discuss: Are we a danish folkschool
> or a multicultural school....?!

This question gives the people only two possibilies. Let them going on
like they are used to think:  in black or white, in yes or no.I would
prefer to start with the question, how is the situation in schools in
Denmark? To understand the situation in the schools as a mirror of the
future-society. Then the answer is very clear I think.And secondly: What
means "multicultural" society? A society where a lot of "cultures" are
existing? Does this have any consequenses onto the society, if you try
to define different "cultures"? This is dangerous in my opinion. E.g.
the "turkish" culture: There is no real turkish culture. Turkey is a
country with a lot of different ethnic and religious minorities. So
people coming from Turkey are very heterogen. Beside this they are
changing in the process of Immigration. Definition of cultures are very
difficult and maybe dangerous, because they are creating
stereotypes.Lets talk about a pluralistic society, a
trans-cultural-society, a patchwork-society... these terms are allowing
more freedom, to accept the people how they are and let them the freedom
how they want to be.

Thirdly: This discussion shouldn't be a
white-christian-danish-discussion. If you believe that Denmark is a
multicultural society, then show this through the participants of the
open space. The opinion of the different minorities are equal important.

> My experience from working with these things in Denmark is that many
> schools (and other institutions) still haven't accepted the fact that
> the proces of having developed into a much more multicultural society
> than before is irreversible.

This fact will hurt a lot of people. Is creating fear of "loosing"
something. Loosing the "clearness" of "the" danish folk. It is important
not to forget, that "culture" is nothing static. It is changing all the
time. So the danish culture will change and it has to, to survive.So the
change is fact and irreversible. The people who came into the country
are now part of the society. Even if the majority doesn't want to accept
it. So as you said, to accept this fact is very important and the first
step. But there are more steps, maybe more important:
The participation of the minorities as equal partners, as equal
citisens,
having the same rights and the same duties as a citisens,
having an instrument to controle the equality through the law, as the
anti-discrimination-law.

> I believe the acceptance is essential as a starting point to handle
> the problems that rise in a solution-oriented way. And start treating
> the multicultral school not only as a problem but also as an
> institution with many potentials !

The problem-oriented way was and is still very popular in Germany. I
grow up in this policy of the stereotypes of "poor turkish girl,
opressed by her family, having no right to choose, sitting between the
chairs, doesn't know, who she is, has to marry and is not allowed to
work...". I was not self-defined. I was defined by the majority, walking
with me like a black cloud. Emancipation not possible, only if I leave
the turkish side, integrating myself into the majorities system.What
happened now is, that there is a change. Now we are the people with
language competence, inter-cultural-competence, the people, who can live
in a world with a lot of change, living in the age of globlisation. But
this is very new perspective.

> I would love two hear about any relatede experiences and thoughts that
> you might have.

I hope I haven't wrote too confus. If you have any questions please ask,
because I don't want to create any misunderstandings and I am open to
discuss.

Looking forward to hear from you.
Nuran