This list and the online forum

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Fri Oct 27 11:57:03 PDT 2000

Dear all:

An online forum has been opened to allow for praticioners
that had not come to Berlin to keep in touch. For the time being
it is still open, and I wonder if there it is not a problem to have
this list and that forum to discuss the same subjects. In a short
time I suspect that we can have two different virtual communities
one in each of those spaces.

I have contributed to both spaces, but I prefer OSLIST for
the following reasons:

- I receive each message in my mailbox, without having to
remember to go to the site and check every thread for new
messages.

- I can organise my mailbox, and reorganise it in many ways
(by thread, by author, by date, etc) and, if it is needed, the messages
are also on-line.

- Different threads being the "equivalent" of different rooms,
we all can be in all rooms at the same time maximising
cross-pollination between threads.

- As local telephone calls have to be paid in Europe, it is much
cheaper to connect to receive the messages, answer off-line and then
connect again to send them (except if you one happens to have a
permanent connection or when one is searching the net).

- Messages tend to be shorter online and some times a longer
message is needed; and for longer messages I prefer to print
them and read on paper than on the screen.

I think the product used in the on-line forum is great, especially
if we are running two parallel sessions (and we have many
computers in each of the sites...) or for the purpose that we have
used it during the Berlin meeting, but for an ongoing dialogue
I prefer the mailing list. With the two simultaneous spaces
I begin to get confused :-( And the flow of messages here is less
than usual (but that can have other reasons).

I would like to know what others think on that. Maybe there
is an easy way to manage that confusion that I am not aware of?

Regards

Artur