Need Facilitator

Leopoldo leopoldo2 at home.com
Mon Oct 2 17:36:03 PDT 2000

I am looking for someone to help me facilitate (for a fee) a 1.5 day Open
Space, as part of a 2.5 day annual conference, during the last full week of
October, in the Seattle-Tacoma area in Washington state.  I have been
listening in for several months now, but not having a client that I was
using OS with, I thought I didn't have much to contribute, but now I need
the group's help.  Although I have facilitated numerous learning events over
the past 15 years, and incorporated an OS approach in several of them, I
would welcome having someone partner with me on this especially since the
client thinks it would be a good idea as well.  I am particularly looking
for someone with experience with a group this size and having used various
approaches to helping participants integrate their learnings into actionable
items.  On this latter issue, I am going to re-read all the emails on
"convergence" that were posted this last summer. My preference would be to
partner with someone cross-culturally ( among other things I'm a
white/hispanic male) and the client's preference is to have a mixed gender
facilitator team.  Please email me directly at leopoldo2 at home.com if you are
interested or call me at 206 935-3758.  Even if you aren't interested in
facilitating, I would appreciate your comments and perspectives via the
group list.

Just so you know what it will entail, the client is a Washington State
government program that brings together about 180 staff members throughout
the state to engage in what they call part of their "ongoing continuous
improvement effort".   For the past two years, they have used a mix of
speakers, panels, small group discussions, and some time to "self-select"and
individually connect...in part to communicate information that the conveners
think everyone needs to hear, but mostly to help people learn from each
other so they can make ongoing improvements, in their part of the program.
I was asked to met with this planning group to help them think through
options.  In general they were saying, "the knowledge is in the room.  We
don't have the answers.  We need to get it from them."  " We want people to
be motivated, re-energized,  create a more intimate feeling"  As the
director put it "I want to capture some of the "magic" of the first
conference which apparently was a little more loosely organized and had more
of an emerging design feel to it.  When the second conference expanded from
70 to 150 people they went to a more structured design with mixed results.
The director wanted to capture some of the "intimate" sense and "magic" of
the first conference.  I suggested they consider OS,  explained the
principles and process, and after a very stimulating conversation, they
decided to devote at least the last 1.5 days to an OS approach and asked me
to facilitate it.  Although I encouraged them to consider OS for the whole
conference, they have chosen to hang on to the approach they have used in
the past for the first day as they wanted to ensure that certain speakers,
information get covered.  The director has 95% decided to go with OS
although he wanted to inlcude a couple of people that were not in the
original meeting to get their input before making the final decision.
However, I was given the go ahead to get some help.