Re schools

Larry Peterson lpasoc at inforamp.net
Sun Oct 1 14:47:49 PDT 2000

A quick story about one of the events I've led recently because I promised a
few people.  This one was on "Safe Schools" and included school board staff,
administrators, a few teachers, students, community police, and social
service folks.  There is great turmoil between teachers unions, the boards
and the government at this point in Ontario, Canada, so the number of
teachers was less than hoped. About 100 came.  However it was a resoundingly
successful Open Space for an evening and morning, with strong relationships,
35 reports, high spirits and real sharing of ideas.  Some anecdotes:
--I had a bad cold and with coughing had thrown out my back.  I still able
to open a great space and get to the chiropractor during it.  Again,
reinforcing that the facilitator does not have to be in the best place for a
good space to be opened.
--The multi-race and cultural Toronto area was fully part of the event.
--Three 6 grade black kids were among the first to put up topics, they led 5
during the event, putting up more at morning news.
--A Muslim high school student led a session on racism and safety for an
adult audience that was awesome.
--Some middle school kids made a great connect to the black woman community
police officer.
--Two 81 year old Jamaicans participated throughout.  They had been athletes
in Toronto 60 years ago and were discriminated against.  They have been
running a youth center since then.  They were amazed that the black youth
were now taking initiative.
--At least 3 high-school youth said that they would now use open space for
their planning meetings.
--School board officials were keen.  A few had used Open Space before and
this just reinforced the power.

Another step in shifting awareness of what is possible.

Larry

Larry Peterson
Associates in Transformation
41 Appleton Ave., Toronto, ON,