Participant Driven Open Space Principles and Laws

Terrie Conway terrieconway at home.com
Thu Nov 30 18:26:08 PST 2000

 I have been reading this with great interest and can't resist a comment.  I
am new to open space facilitation but have worked over 15 years in OD and
facilitation.  I love the simplicity of open space and the freedom that the
principles and law bring to the group process.  For the people in my
organization the law of two feet is amazing (as are the bumble bees and
butterflies).  I agree that less is more - and don't want to tamper with
them.

In her message Meg said "Once again, the message is to let go! (at least,
that's always what comes up for me!)"

Given my background I have had to consciously focus on  "getting out of the
way".  One way I learned to be OK with "letting go" was when I learned how
to set my intention and then let go in order to bend metal (a spoon or a
fork).  I found out I cannot bend the spoon if I am pushing to hard.  I
learned how important it is to let go of the outcome once my intention is
clear - then the spoon goes soft and bends easily.  I have also found that I
can "teach" this to anyone - but some take longer to learn to let go of
control.  I think "spoon bending" is a wonderful metaphor for what we are
trying to do in open space and for what we can do in our lives and our
world.

Terrie