OS for "bad" purposes

Richard Norris rnorris at digital.net
Tue Nov 28 14:05:14 PST 2000

What would be the implications of convening an OS for purposes generally considered to be for the ill of the community?  For example, what if a street gang convened an OS on doing a better job of taking over a neighborhood?

Would it still lead to the best of the human spirit emerging, as I always experience in OS?

Peg,

What an interesting twist of thought. It is my understanding that OS belongs to all on the planet and beyond, so the premise is not as far fetched as it may sound.  In fact with OS's increased exposure to the world it is highly probable that the scenario presented will be occur sometime in the near future. It may have happened already.

We use to discuss a similar issue when I was the Senior Facilitator at the U.S. Defense Equal Opportunity Management Institute (DEOMI).  One of our greatest concerns with facilitating discussions around all discrimination issues was the perceived risk of "helping in creating an improved and more skilled bigot".  This thought never left any of us even though it never was realized as far as we could tell.  In fact in virtually every instance, when the hard bigots (particularly Skinheads, KKK, Christian Identity members and hardcore Sexists/Sexual Harassers) were present and their Human Spirit became visible to themselves they always began a journey of self reflection and attempted change. OS was not used in DEOMI's facilitation processes.

I suspect if OS truly crystallizes the Human Spirits presence when the Space is Opened, then those seeing  their own Human Spirit in the reflection of others will begin to question their own values, morals, ethics and Human Beingness as it relates to their relationships with others and self.

Final thought....From the perspective of the gang members OS may have a positive result for their group and it's goals.
OS is being used by organizations to gain "superior advantage" in the market place thereby subtlety attempting to gain the dominant position....(having a positive result for their group and it's goals.)

Great question....If OS belongs to the world should its use be restricted?

Rich Norris

  What would be the implications of convening an OS for purposes generally considered to be for the ill of the community?  For example, what if a street gang convened an OS on on doing a better job of taking over a neighborhood?

  Would it still lead to the best of the human spirit emerging, as I always experience in OS?