news from french speaking colleague

Artur F. Silva artsilva at mail.eunet.pt
Tue Nov 14 10:38:49 PST 2000

John:

The post from Sow that you resent to us has a point I would
like to know your opinion about (or the opinion of Sow,
or any other...): the use of the word "technologie".

At 13:10 14-11-2000 +0000, john engle (Sow) wrote:

>Il y a encore des résitances pour certains "chefs" mais quand je présente
>la technologie au "peuple", aux acteurs, on revient plus sur les anciennes
>méthodes.

I have been thinking how to translate the T of OST to Portuguese
and generaly to latin languages. In what concerns Portuguese,
technology means always "industrial" ; you can have "computer
technology" or "biological technology" but not "meeting technology".
One has to use the equivalente of method, methodologie, or
technique (not so good, but aceptable).

I am not sure about Spanish, but I think this is also true for
French. And was confirmed by a French partner of mine, and by
another French speaker. But now Sow (which I presume is not
from continental France) uses "technologie" in a more broader sense.

Can you confirm if that sense is normaly accepted in France?
Thanks and regards

Artur