Feelings and Thoughts on OSonOS Berlin

Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au Robert.Chaffe at nre.vic.gov.au
Sun Nov 5 22:59:04 PST 2000

I have listened to the stories from Berlin and other spaces.  I find that I have
a sense of sometimes missing the point.

If I am responsible for opening a space that is truly open my task is to guard
that space and allow those in it to do what they will.

If I am a participant what are the issues on concerns that I need to deal with
in that space relating to the focus question or invitation.  For the most
effective use of my time I need to bring all my energy, knowledge and
enthusiasm/passion to the space, for if no one comes I have a lot of work to do
to capture the outcomes of my thoughts, ideas etc.  When many come I need to
work hard and use what ever process, facilitation skill I have to capture the
essence and learning from our group.  When I go to another session I need to
take all my skills and knowledge to ensure that I assist the growth and
development of the people in that space. To develop and capture the learning,
decisions, directions of the session so that it generates wealth (something more
than was there before the session started).  I need to understand myself so that
when it is over for me I move on.

In this Mad Mad world it seems that adults need to be given permission to do
things.  Even to go to conferences where the ringing of gongs and buzzers are a
sign to me that the space is closed but to others it seems to be a sign that
"All is Right with the World" and another talking head is about to fill the air
with ____.

I would like you to consider the recent Olympic games in Sydney.  The feed back
from many people was that in a brief few weeks Sydney was transformed to a
single community, a place of happy people who laughed and cried together as one
family.

As we know now this did not just happen.  Ten years ago the planning started,
five yeas ago the gardens were planted and spaces were constructed, one year ago
it was ready, it was tested and fine tuned. Three or four months ago the Olympic
flame was ignited. So began the development of expectation and focus on Sydney.

As the flame crossed the world, the pacific and then totally circumnavigated the
continent, reaching into both tiny communities and large cities it ignited
passion and a sense that the Sydney Olympic games were going to be the very best
we Australians could make them.  This all took wing when, in a blaze of fire and
water the opening ceremony declared the Games had begun.  Like a master switch
it happened the whole of Sydney responded.  The rest is history.  Eva Cox
reported that she felt that for once the whole community had a common focus or
vision that was based on the single outcome of a great games for all.

As I reflect on this I feel that Open Space is like that, the preparation in the
gathering of the people and the focus of the effort.  The cultivation of the
participants to the point that when The "Space" is declared "Open" it happens!
Notice that I have not talked about the events, the drug issue, the gold medals
or Eric the Eel (after Eddie the Eagle from the winter Olympics).  In many ways
these were side shows to the main event People doing their thing - competitors,
spectators, transport operators, staff providing food, cleaners, coaches etc.

The result was the proclamation that the Sydney Olympics Games and the Sydney
Para0lympic games were the best ever. The outcomes are young people thinking I
too could be an Olympian.  Children asking their parents for a wheelchair for
Christmas so they can play wheelchair basketball.  When seeing a person in a
wheelchair in the street a child was heard to ask "what basketball team do you
play for?"

This all did not just happen it was as a result of very carefully planned set of
events.

The closing of the main events only gathered the participants to acknowledge
that the time had come to and end, the events had been run the medals awarded,
the people were thanked and stories were told, the convergence was left to each
of the events and their own special needs.

   I feel that we need to think and discuss more about the process that will get
   the same level of passion and commitment at all Open Space events.  In the
   words of one Olympic participant (who was well down in the field in his
   event) when asked if he would choose to withdraw said  "he had not come to
   start the event but to finish it" and he did!