Neat precedent!

Doersam, Laurel Laurel.Doersam at caphealth.org
Wed Nov 22 15:57:03 PST 2000

Hi all,

Good news from the west coast of Canada.

I'm working on a Family-Centred Maternity Care project in Capital Health
Region wherein we'll be using OST to design the particulars of this type of
approach for our region.  We require input from all over, but have
traditionally had difficulty getting physicians to close their offices to
attend this type of event, as it means they give up their income for the
day.  We've set a neat precent by convincing the BC College of Physicians
that an OST event ought to count as continuing medical education - et,
viola!  Now our physicians are getting CME credits for attending.  It
doesn't sound like much, but the implications are quite far-reaching (now we
need to get the same credits for the 30,000+ nurses in our province).  For
those of you working in health care in Canada (or elsewhere), I hope this
news will make a difference - perhaps a "baby step", but the precedent has
been set. (We're very excited about it.)

Other news re: OST in health care -  Our Chief Nursing Officer will be
presenting at a National Nursing Leadership Conference in Ottawa in February
on developing a Philosophy of Care using Open Space Technology.  So there
may be more interest in the health community following.

This is neat stuff.

Laurel.

Laurel Doersam, RN, MA
Employee Wellness Coordinator