OS with large youth group: seeking advice

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Tue Nov 21 01:25:50 PST 2000

Susan:

To be honest, I think your time frame is too short, although I think
your instincts about using OST are right on.

I have had some great experiences with OST and youth, and in fact am
gearing up to do another one soon with youth around the issue of
improving services to youth victims of crime.  These are smaller
gatherings, and in fact it looks like we will be doing them in five
hours.  We have a youth advisory committee in place, one of whom has
been involved in an OST meeting I did in the summer and they are keen on
the process, even though my client knows that five hours won't be really
plumbing the depths.  I find that OST works well for youth consultations
because the youth come away feeling like their voices and contributions
were really important.  Just allowing them to set the agenda is a huge
step forward from their perspective.

i also find that youth take to this process like ducks to water and
shape and bend it in a whole variety of ways, in whatever ways they need
to.

On your third point...I don't think it is wise to pre plan the
composition of groups.  Let it self-organize.  Youth and adults will
find each other if they need to and will separate if they need to do
that too.  Everyone present must be able to participate equally, meaning
that the law and the principles apply to everyone in that room.  Messing
with that will undermine the powerful dynamic of self-organization that
leads to true empowerment for the folks in that room, especially the
youth.  There is nothing worse for a youth gathering than having the
feeling that adults are looking over their shoulders.  And I'm sure the
youth at this conference would be happy to work with adults who shared
their passion.  And if the adults got overbearing, the youth will
usually use their feet, and fast.

As an alternative to this, I would encourage them to do the conference
in Open Space and give the time needed for the process to work.  In my
experience any other format will most definitely NOT empower the youth.
Being told where to go, who to listen to and when to work has it's close
relations in both traditional conference settings, prisons and schools,
none of which are traditionally very liberating!

I have found that adults who argue on behalf of highly structured events
for youth, generally do so because they have a deep mistrust of youth.
And it's not surprising that many feel that way...there is surely no
more powerful group of people than liberated and free youth.  Once they
get a handle on their power, little can stop them, and they pursue their
passions with an unbridled commitment.  In my experience it's one of the
most beautiful and moving things to see.  I try to encourage it wherever
I can.

As you know, living in an earthquake zone rather inoculates us to
danger!

Chris

PS There are two stories of my using OST with youth on my website at
http://www.geocities.com/chris_corrigan/osstories.html

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation