Languages (translation)

Lisa Heft lisaheft at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 18 10:18:27 PST 2000

Dear Erich -

I feel the hardest thing to do is to participate in a way
you feel expresses things exactly and perfectly, especially
when those things are things of the heart, the spirit, and
sharing how one sees the world.  And indeed, professional
and perfect translation is also a big challenge.

As Spanish is my second language, my past work in HIV/AIDS
education was in Spanish and in English.  And in Spanish I
always felt the challenge of talking both about science and
emotion (one can never be separated from the other in the
world of HIV) with just the right precise and jewel-like
words.  I had a native Spanish speaking colleague be the
lead facilitator in our trainings, but out in the world of
the peer support and information telephone line there were
many times when I needed to help a Spanish speaking peer
health educator or take calls that were in Spanish.

It takes a lot of courage and a lot of faith (in others and
in one's self) to participate as fully as possible in a
discussion in a different language.

You are amazing.

Warm greetings to you from Berkeley, California, USA,

Lisa

- - - -