Water into wine?

Harrison Owen owenhh at mindspring.com
Tue May 16 13:56:50 PDT 2000

At 10:19 AM 5/16/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm working on a local government planning project that requires a public
>review of the planning document to get community input.  Everyone is
>expecting the same old process of presenting the plan then having people
>come to a podium or something and blah blah blah.  I don't want to do that.
>
>There must be a way to use OS here. Has anyone used OS this way  to
>transform an otherwise mundane bureaucratic input process into something
>more.  Something where people from the general community are learning and at
>the same time providing input to those who must make final decisions.
>
>Don
********************************
It may be a little late. Sounds like the plan is already done, and therefore
(to some extent the space is already closed. Open Space is a great way to
develop the Plan in the first place -- and for sure the community will come
alive and there will be plenty of input. At this point i would be more than a
little concerned that either the folks would take Open Space seriously in which
case they might throw out the plan and make the planners unhappy. Or they
wouldn't take it seriously, and it would be back to same old, same old, and the
community would be unhappy. The advantage of mind numbing Blah, Blah, Blah is
that when you are numb it doesn't hurt so much.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854