The particaption of youth in Open Space

Andrew Donovan adonovan at mpx.com.au
Tue May 23 00:28:10 PDT 2000

Dear Friends

I have a one day open space this Friday in Canberra (Australia's capital)
for our leading adult literacy organisation. The 50 or so people attending
are policy makers from various fields. The focus is on literacy and young
people. Several young people will be attending (say 2-3).

A member of the leadership team hosting the open space is very concerned
that the process/the facilitator ensure that the voice of the young people
is heard. While perhaps making some welcoming comments in my introduction,
I don't intent to single them out or really do anything further than I
would normally in opening the space. But, I am open to the wisdom of the
list.  I think it's a relevant concern that a group of 40 powerful adults
could intimidate 3 young people (their small numbers  are a problem in
itself), even though that is not their intention.

How would other people respond to these concerns, have you done anything
differently to include young people in a largely adult group? Many thanks

warm wishes

andrew

Andrew Donovan
tel +61 3 9416 3021