training ost

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Mon May 22 02:53:16 PDT 2000

Dear All

I successfully trained nine people before and at an OST 1.5 day event
in Brasov, Romania.  The training was in three parts:

1. One day session on principles and mechanics with emphasis on what
to observe during actual event the next day.

2. Participation in the event itself with some detachment to observe
process and mechanics.

3. Debriefing for one hour after the event, reviewing principles and
process and answering questions.

As far as I know, six of these trainees are opening space all over
Romania.   While you don't need to be a rcoket scientist to practice
open space, it does help to understand and have heart.  The hardest
part, of course, is conveying what "holding the space" means.

It clearly is best to train with an actual event.  If the venue had
not been so far away, we would have insisted that the trainees
"shadow" us on at least one other OST.  We then would ask the
trainees to lead an event and we would shadow them before "signing
off" on their training.

Cheers

Kerry Napuk
Open Futures