Leadership Challenging Open Space in the Open Space

Murli Nagasundaram rismurli at cobfac.boisestate.edu
Wed Mar 1 21:55:40 PST 2000

You asked:

1. What do you think about the way another process was used inside OS (the
law and principles of OS continued to exist — law of mobility, etc.)?

Well, I don't have a problem with it because of the freedom for others to do
something else and because the laws and principles were maintained.

2. Has anyone else had the leadership team try/think about shutting down
the OS while its happening? How did you respond?

I had a client leader come to me in mid afternoon of day one of a two day
process and comment that his people didn't feel like they were discussing
important topics. I reassured him that taking responsibility for discussing
important topics was a learned skill and that we would surface this at
evening news and that we would give people a chance the next morning to (a)
post new topics and (b) withdraw topics already posted which upon the
overnight reflection felt like the wrong topics.

The next morning they did both and the process ended up being a very
meaningful one - I also told him that "there wasn't a client group at the end
of a first day, who didn't feel like there was a bit more chaos than order
but who found order the next day in the way things came together out of their
own self-organizing". The next day in the afternoon as things were coming
together, he came to me and said, "Esther you are so wise. This is
wonderful!" So while I'd been pushing it a bit, it was mostly a bit of faith
that I had that in order to self-organize, you have to go through a bit of
creative chaos at first and for those who like order a lot, the chaos feels a
bit awkward. But as things come together, the "order-aholics" feel better.

3. Do other people feel like they become the projection screen on which the
organisations internal workings are being played out — like you are
'channelling' (for want of a better expression) the energy of the group as
it plays out?

Yes, I often feel that — especially if I am working with a group which is in
major conflict — in deep democracy, I try to be somewhat the "instrument of
their peace".

4. How do people maintain their strength during the event and how do they
nurture themselves afterwards?

I think it depends - I get busy in the great hall receiving reports and
putting them up (and numbering them) and working with an admin. person to
have them copied. I answer questions and I admire and express my respect for
the emerging wisdom and energy in the room. I am a mirror.

Afterwards, I've been known to babble for hours telling the story and then
collapse into a hot bath with a glass of white wine and a scented candle.
Then I tell my husband how grateful I am that he's willing to be such an
attentive ear! However, I'm an extrovert. An introvert might need to withdraw
to renew.

5. Can I pack up and leave now or once open space grabs you can you ever
get free? (This is a joke for those who miss Australian humour!)

Luckily, Open Space is a life sentence!

Regards
Esther