Leadership Challenging Open Space in the Open Space

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Mar 1 17:51:13 PST 2000

Andrew:

Nice job.  I think I would have handled the situation the same way, and it
seems that the process worked, as it always will.

It sounds to me like you were maybe one or two moves away from executinig the
law of mobility yourself and getting out of the way.  At a certain point, if
the leadership insists that the process isn't working and they successfully
hijack it, what else can you do?  On the other hand, my experience with nervous
leadership (and it's inevitable that there WILL be nervous leadership) is that
once the process begins, there is very little that can be done to stop it.  I
enjoy showing them around a little and observing what's happening with them.
Usually, once I help them through the intial panic stage, they get quite
reflective about what is going on around them.  I've never been asked to close
the space at the evening news, however...

That begs the question for the list thus:  Has anyone ever had to walk away
from an event because it was no longer OS?

I wonder if you have reflected any more on the idea that perhaps the right
people weren't there or maye the theme wasn't quite right?  If there was a big
rush of topics around operational issues, that says some things...it could mean
that OS really did tap the passion of the organization, and operations is
what's on people's minds.  It might also be that the theme brought these topics
out.  Hard to know from this distant vantage point.  Have you talked to the
leadership about this?

Have I ever felt like a projection screen?  Yes.  This is the nature of
facilitating OS.   In fact I find that it's the nature of any space holding
activity, including facilitating, parenting and teaching.  Birgitt has a lot to
say on this in her training, and she spends time on care for the facilitator
which is VERY important.  Personally I particpate in sweat lodge ceremonies
which, to put it very rudimentally, are indigenous cleansing rituals.  It's
important to do something, or a combination of things to keep yourself healthy
and strong before and after an event.  Personally this is an area of passion
for me...I love hearing how others prepare and debreif from facilitation.

As to your question about packing up and leaving, I have some good news and
some bad news...

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN