Givens re egroups

Murli Nagasundaram rismurli at cobfac.boisestate.edu
Fri Jun 30 17:26:40 PDT 2000

At 08:44 AM 6/30/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Thank you Jan and Murli for the clarifications you brought.

You're welcome, Diane.
You detected well the piece that was missing for me. Maybe this had been
>said before within the numerous messages that went out but if it did, I
>missed it and I am sorry for stretching this debate. If  I understand
>what you and Murli are saying,  the egroup is basically the same as the
>present OS listserve and that it is not designed to be public, i.e.
>automatically available to anyone surfing on the net, but that it
>remains accessible to whoever chooses to subscribe. That answers my
>question.

Indeed.

>My concern was not about "using or not using" technology for OS. I would
>not be on the LIST if that was the case. And I know that there are lots
>of people in the world who have an interest in OS, not only the 292
>persons on the LIST who constitute some form of community. I felt an
>essential part of Michelle's note on the issue of givens was about that
>sense of  community ("sharing, deeply personal conversations, creating a
>safe place...") This does not mean we do not welcome people who share
>that interest, people that I see as being different from those just
>"surfing".

I think the very form and content of this ongoing OSLIST conversation keeps
out those who don't have an abiding interest in it.

>I agree with you Murli that "OSLIST users, by definition are not
>technophobes, but actually find it useful." But I have to confess that
>some of us are, in relative terms, still a bit what many might call
>techno-peasants. But in good humor I say, have hope, these conversations
>are getting us up there, slowly but surely.

Yup.  In 5 years you'll look back at the technological ox-cart phase in
which we are now, in amazement and wonder.  Sheesh, such hype!

>Thank you for hearing, yet another question about this egroup proposal.
>You have had a lot on your plate with this question and I am grateful
>that you have not given up on it.

Oh, actually, I really enjoyed the participation and input.  For me, this
was an experiment in Open Space, electronically.  While this forum has been
used mainly for exchanging stories and ideas, we could probably also use it
in other ways

Best,

Murli

2.  Sign in and Proceed