Givens re egroups

Diane Gibeault dgp at cyberus.ca
Fri Jun 30 08:44:10 PDT 2000

Thank you Jan and Murli for the clarifications you brought.

My comments were made in response to Michelle's question about creating
safe space in the new format. From her message I understood that the
egroup contrary to the oslist would automatically be opened to any web
surfer, looking for nothing in particular. There, you can see what I
meant when I said I did not have technological wisdom to offer on this
"egroup" question.

You detected well the piece that was missing for me. Maybe this had been
said before within the numerous messages that went out but if it did, I
missed it and I am sorry for stretching this debate. If  I understand
what you and Murli are saying,  the egroup is basically the same as the
present OS listserve and that it is not designed to be public, i.e.
automatically available to anyone surfing on the net, but that it
remains accessible to whoever chooses to subscribe. That answers my
question.

My concern was not about "using or not using" technology for OS. I would
not be on the LIST if that was the case. And I know that there are lots
of people in the world who have an interest in OS, not only the 292
persons on the LIST who constitute some form of community. I felt an
essential part of Michelle's note on the issue of givens was about that
sense of  community ("sharing, deeply personal conversations, creating a
safe place...") This does not mean we do not welcome people who share
that interest, people that I see as being different from those just
"surfing".

I agree with you Murli that "OSLIST users, by definition are not
technophobes, but actually find it useful." But I have to confess that
some of us are, in relative terms, still a bit what many might call
techno-peasants. But in good humor I say, have hope, these conversations
are getting us up there, slowly but surely.

Thank you for hearing, yet another question about this egroup proposal.
You have had a lot on your plate with this question and I am grateful
that you have not given up on it.

Sincerely,

Diane Gibeault