I need advice . . .

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Wed Jun 28 12:03:18 PDT 2000

Hi Laurel;

I would hold out for a whole day and ensure that follow up is also built in.
I personally would not open space for less than 31/2-4 hours in any
situation.... particularly where there is such deep rooted conflict that has
evolved over years of history. A one day open space event will allow great
discussion of the issues and some strategies to be developed (to say nothing
of the team building desirable side effect). They are still likely to need
the follow up sessions built in to develop the action strategies and
solution plans for the issues that are identified as most important.

The issue of physicians as fee for service guests versus paid employees
raises its head in every hospital organization that I work with. So, how can
you level the playing field? In one hospital that I am working with now,
they are paying the physicians a fee for participating in the team work.
While it is not the same fee that they would be getting by performing
surgery, they are acknowledging the importance of their participation
financially. Another option is to offer the session outside of regular work
hours and have everyone volunteer to participate. One might then argue that
if it is important, they will come. I don't know the climate in your
organization.

I guess it still really comes down to how committed they are to identifying
root causes to their issues and coming up with sustainable solutions vs
paying lip service. That does require a time investment, but is still a more
cost-effective solution than investing many hours and going nowhere. That is
where most of the people, physicians and other staff, that  I have worked
with get frustrated....spinning wheels. Do they want to solve it now and
forever and also build relationships that will help them resolve future
problems or do it again and again. In the end, not dealing with the issue
well costs far more in money, opportunity costs, fractured relationships
etc., etc.

I explained taking the appropriate time to deal with issues to a group of
physicians and nurses using a heart analogy before. Not taking time is like
having a patient come into emergency complaining of chest pain and booking
bypass surgery without doing a history, physical and other diagnostic tests.
There may indeed by a blockage in a coronary artery, but that may not be
what is causing the pain. Treating the patient properly depends on accurate
diagnosis and investigation....which is a time investment. The same applies
to systems issues.
(I wrote this before I read Michael's response....I love it!!! Looks like we
are on the same wavelength. I guess what we are both saying how can this be
framed to have meaning to the sponsors?)
Hope this helps
Michelle

Michelle Cooper, RN, MScN
The Cooper Group Consultants
200 Crestview  Avenue
Ancaster, Ontario
Canada L9G1E2
Telephone -     (905) 648- 4633
Fax -           (905) 648-1763
E-mail          coopgrp at interlynx.net
The paradox of control is simple. The more we try to control life, the
less control we have.  Joan Borysenko, Ph.D., Minding The Body, Mending The
Mind