More choices -- An Alternate Electronic Space

Patrick McAuley patrick.mcauley at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 15 09:28:22 PDT 2000

If the support issues can be resolved, I would also vote for eGroups.  It has an advantage that may only soon start to become apparent.  As some have pointed out, eGroups lets you share files.  This means that, instead of sending files as attachments to an email (usually verboten on listservs), you can store them in the "files" section section of the website.

The reason that this may become more important has to do with the recent "I love you" virus and its clones.  This virus affected Microsoft Outlook email users and Microsoft has now made available for free downloading a security upgrade to that program.  One of the ways this upgrade works is to disable your access to email attachments that are executable programs.  While this prevents detaching files of the "I love you" type, it also prevents getting at files that end in ".exe" which includes most programs, self-expanding archive or zip-type files, etc.  So, if you can no longer email these useful, non-virus programs to people, it becomes very helpful to have places like eGroups, where you can store them and tell others where to go and get them.

If this is too technical, just file it in your catalogue of useless information. But remember that eGroups has all the simplicity of a listserv, plus some other advantages.

Cheers,

Patrick