knowledge cafe and Open Space

Alan Stewart alan.stewart at flinders.edu.au
Wed Jun 14 14:45:07 PDT 2000

Always surprising and delightful to see one's long gone postings resuscitated, as Jay did recently
in quoting me in his on 'Knowledge cafes/Reflections on nested OST forums.'

There was a gem IMO awaiting for those who had the stamina to read to the end of this piece,
viz 'in this particular context.'

I believe that there is scope for marrying Open Space with other processes _in specific contexts_.
My most recent experience of doing this was in the course of a community consultation about the
design and function of a large facility.

As I reported on May 21, 2000 re: OS in community planning? a combination of the 'Passion Cafe' (Cafe
with Open Space a la carte, according to Nancy Margulies, colleague of Juanita Brown) variation of World
Cafe 'worked well' - as I used it.

This use was quite different to what was mentioned by Ingrid Olausson in her account of the workshop
run by Juanita in Sweden. Here Open Space was used to generate the topics and Passion Cafe to flesh them out.
There were three meetings in total, each lasting only four hours and a month apart. The first was 'by the
book' Open Space and the second and third Cafes.

In the gatherings we began and ended in a circle. Principles of Open Space and L2F were invoked
throughout. People were not asked to move during the Cafes, they did this of their own volition.

There are at least two obvious differences between the format of Open Space and Cafe. In the latter,
ambience is created to simulate that of a cafe, with small tables, decor and music. And in the Cafe,
proceedings of the conversations are recorded on paper table cloths, in diverse forms. This can complicate
the subsequnet transcription onto computer but is not insurmountable.

Whatever, the use of these 'conversational processes' could signify the beginnings of a new form of
governance. Borrowing from Jeff Aitken's words:

. Citizens provide ideas and energy - indispensable to the design and functioning of, in this case, a major
community facility - fully aware that these need to go through a decision making process.

. (Local) government still has certainty about boundaries - within which creativity and inspiration can
flourish - in exchange for letting go of control.

And might the introduction of these processes also portend a growing understanding within this local government
authority (Marion Council) of how conversational processes can, in Birgitt Williams words 'transform the very
essence and activity of organisations and on-going groups into more productive and more sensible work places for all?'

People in Adelaide are tasting these delicious morsels.

Again, the caravan rolls on.

Alan Stewart