Choosing a daily list

Jeff Aitken ja at svn.net
Thu Jun 29 11:29:06 PDT 2000

Murli wrote:

"OSLIST will be available at both places.  Consider continuing to use
LISTSERV for general discussions, and use the Chat, polling, links,
database and calendaring features of Egroups as a supplement.  Why not use
both?  Why not use all (including Harrison's and other
suggestions)?  Pretty soon, we will need to learn to use all these
technologies -- otherwise we might be missing some powerful opportunities."

Thank you Murli. This is what I understand you to suggest:

We can continue to use the listserv for our daily conversation. We would
not switch this daily conversation to egroups...

(There is one thing I want to clarify. Are you saying that we can now
choose to get the daily conversation from either? Even if we post messages
only to the listserv? Would one who gets it from egroups be able to reply
directly to the listserv?)

...AND, there are some features of egroups that are useful. Anyone can
invite others to use those features. For example, I might invite anyone who
cares into an egroups chat. Just as some of us have created special topics
on the www.tmn.com/new website. And the www.openspaceworld.org website
contains calendars of trainings, topics, and a directory of practitioners
(check it out!)

As long as the invitation goes out on the daily oslist, the people who use
the other features will be those who care and have access. Thus the
opportunity to learn to access and use web sites. (Available in libraries
or internet cafes, if not at home, no?)

I like our spirit of helping each other, being as inclusive as possible
while also extending our technological range. I guess that as more young
people join the OS community, it will be good that we have some preparation
for the possibilities of the internet.

-
New phone:
Jeff Aitken