2 Education Questions

Michelle Cooper coopgrp at interlynx.net
Thu Jul 27 11:47:49 PDT 2000

HI Chris;

I wonder if you could clarify a couple of things. The first is mandatory
attendance. Are you suggesting that there will be no other option for
classroom work for the teachers other than the open space? If this is one of
several education options, there is still choice involved. I think of some
of the professions that are regulated in this area as comparison. The
mandatory part is that they must participate in so many CEU (continuing
education unit) credits per year. What education credits are taken are at
the discretion of the individual, based on learning needs. I would suggest
that it be voluntary for them to attend the open space format, but if they
choose not to attend, they will be required to find another suitable forum
for meeting their learning needs and education hour requirements. Does this
work?

I have not had the experience teaching using open space (but that does not
prevent me from having an idea :)). I guess that if there are certain course
objectives that must be attained, then these would form the "givens" or the
parameters of the open space that would be used to open the space. The
actual content and format of how individuals achieve the objectives will be
the subject of surprise, and probably great wonder. I guess it depends on
how concrete these objectives are and how students will be evaluated at the
end (My great disillusionment with one university here is the focus on
meeting very specific criteria and then being advised that not more than 30%
of students should be given higher than a C+....after the grades were
submitted. I did not teach again this year!!). I don't know if this helps.

Michelle

Michelle Cooper, RN, MScN
The Cooper Group Consultants
200 Crestview  Avenue
Ancaster, Ontario
Canada L9G1E2
Telephone -     (905) 648- 4633
Fax -           (905) 648-1763
E-mail          coopgrp at interlynx.net
The paradox of control is simple. The more we try to control life, the
less control we have.  Joan Borysenko, Ph.D., Minding The Body, Mending The
Mind