Idea

Rhett Hudson/Chris Weaver rhett&chris at main.nc.us
Wed Jul 12 16:56:22 PDT 2000

Dear Kathleen,

Like Peg and BJ I am fascinated with your idea.  I am working in a state
school system that also is conservative and test-driven.  Like you I know
how many teachers yearn to deepen their practice, to support one another, to
open to spirit in their work with children and in the balance of their
lives.

I believe that your vision could emerge powerfully as a community
unaffiliated with any school system or structure.  An invitation with a
theme such as "deepening our practice, deepening our lives," or "spirit in
our lives and teaching practice," would surely have attracted me as a
teacher.

An OS community independent of school systems could develop naturally and at
its own pace.  Interfacing with school structures invites a paradigm-clash
that might be too disruptive to the community you imagine, at least
initially.

As you may have read, I am working on using OS within our North Carolina
educational system.  Our explicit purpose is to provide a community
mentoring structure for new teachers.  It looks promising that many new
teachers will meet in Open Space every four weeks this year.  At this point
I am imagining our theme to be "becoming the teacher you dream to be."
"Opening to spirit" cannot be our theme in our context, but of course it
will be our practice.  Thus far we have been very fortunate to have an
Opening in the state system that embraces the idea, but navigation gets
tricky at times.

Please keep us posted as your wonderful idea moves into the world.

Chris Weaver