Opens Space and Playback Theatre

Peter O'Connell Peter at hvrf.com.au
Mon Jul 10 17:22:03 PDT 2000

Romy,
Don't panic  -- the discussion is not too far along yet, and so catching up
will be easy.  This is also reflective of where I am at the moment, being a
very new playback apprentice and trying find its fit with group work of all
kinds, including OST.  My initial introduction to sociodrama and playback
actually came from a topic session in an OpenSpace during Birgitt Williams'
training session here in Australia last year -- and so the loop closes!  As
an initial thought about how to integrate Playback into OST, it would seem
a great vehicle for a preamble to a convergence session.  Why simply have
people read the session reports before prioritisation and convergence --
perhaps a series of playback vignettes using mask, dance, human sculptures
etc could encapsulate and amplify the themes of each of the reports.  It
would also be possible to use playback in a more conventional way as part
of the closing session or as an element in morning and evening news.

Also, your note has also prodded me to act upon a suggestion from Chris C.
(I've been a bit tardy) to also start a discussion on the TMN site, that I
will, with your approval, use your very apt title of "The Right (Brain)
Stuff".

Bye
Peter O'C