Convergence Design

Chris Corrigan corcom at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Jan 26 00:52:10 PST 2000

I'm trying something a little different.  The Open Space last Friday was
not long enough to get into convergence, and it was agreed at the outset
that we would converge the material with the planning committee (about
15 people) ten days later.

I have a very short time to do this (4 hours) and I have proposed the
following:

1.    Planning committee members will have read the reports from the OS
before hand

2.    Invitation is to come to the follow up meeting prepared to put
action plans on the material that was developed.

3.    I will open space with this invitation and invite people to see
patterns and host half hour discussion groups that aim to simply move
the material to another level - in other words, put an execution plan on
it.

4.    We meet in Open Space for 1.5 hours and then come back together to
share what we have done.

5.    The few things that are left will then be given a place to go.

It's a sort of divergent converegence, but because the planning cttee is
composed of people from a variety of different government departments
and Aboriginal agencies, various people will end up having the lead role
on different stuff.  Doing it this way allows the lead role people to
take responsibility for those items that fall in their balliwick, and
seek others who might support them in this.

Everybody was at the Open Space on Friday and all were very happy with
the result, so I'd like to build on that energy.  I think this is a
different situation from what Peg is describing, but I'm interested in
comments as well.

BTW Peg, I liked the "link" idea...I'll steal that !

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN
108-1035 Pacific Street