future search

kerry napuk k at napuk.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 28 02:14:23 PST 2000

Angeta Falk asked about applications of Future Search.

As a participant and facilitator in F.S. Conferences, I agree there are
frustrations around this process, especially arriving at clear outcome(s).
Other drawbacks are limited numbers (up to 64 people) and the time, 2.5
days being a big turnoff to key decision makers.

Regarding applications, Future Search is useful to resolve bedrock
conflicts between diverse stakeholders.  It is good for teasing out common
ground for opposing interests and trying to agree a shared future.  For
example, see our book on "The Story of The Forres Future Search, a
community's attempts at development in a small rural town in Northern
Scotland."

We have taken parts of Future Search and added new elements, producing two
processes to achieve a focused strategy in much less time:  Vision search
and Strategy search, which take one day and a night and one day,
respectively.   The shorter timeframes produce faster and clearer results
and we can accomodate larger numbers, up to 15 people at tables of 8 for a
total of 120 people.

You can find more details on our website <www.openfutures.com>

Cheers

Kerry Napuk