Laptop free OST?

Donald Horrigan horrigan at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 23 14:56:29 PST 2000

This evening I completed a loptop free OS at a private pre-K -- eight middle
school for 60 staff members. We did this in two, two hour sessions. The
first was in December and the second was tonight. At the first session the
group generated eleven topics with the proceedings going on chart paper.
Each convener wrote up the proceedings and turned them into the school
administration for email distribution and photocopying in the week
following.

This evening we began with the proceedings in the market place. Groups then
refined the topics on chart paper. After that we prioritized the topics with
"dot" voting. Each participant had three dots. The group prioritized the top
five issues and then did a gallery walk to add action steps. The conveners
of the five groups will write up the proceedings. We will move ahead to
formal project statements with tasks and deadlines.

The group was very happy with the experience. The whole community
participated. This was an experiment to see what we could do with OS within
very short time constraints and over a period of time. To this point I am
excited and very pleased. At the next school in-service day we will move
ahead with project meetings based on the proceedings. --no laptops.

I have really been benefiting from reading the list these past months.
Thanks to everyone.

Don Horrigan
1273 Kincaid Ln
Bowie, MD