OS and Scenario Planning

romy shovelton romys at compuserve.com
Sun Feb 13 23:39:58 PST 2000

Pat

while I totally agree with Harrison that on the whole mixing OS with other
things can be inadvisable..... and particularly taking people from OS into
anything else will tend to lead to rebellion or at least unhappiness.......
 I do think that in an overall programme (vs one event) you could do some
combining.  (I'll wait for you to shoot me (gently) Harrison!).

I did once have a great paper on using OS and scenario planning prepared by
the folks at The Meta Network (either Doug Carmichael, or Lisa).  Not
totally sure of their email addresses now - you might try doug at tmn.com.  If
I find my paper later today, I will let you know.

Meanwhile (off line ie. off the OSLIST), I'll send you some info on
scenario work we are doing with a client right now.  I think you will see
that in various places throughout the overall programme eg. in getting
clear on the 'focal questions' + in surfacing issues in the local and macro
environment + in fleshing out the possible scenarios, you could involve all
the stakeholders/ whole system in the room, and do that work in Open Space.
  Having said that, I haven't done that myself - at least yet,  so shall
welcome hearing thoughts from others on the LIST.

In the client work we are doing right now, it is possible that OS will
become the way in which we involve all the stakeholders having spent some
time with the leadership team in getting clear on their 'focal questions'
and a first pass at what the local and macro environment factors might be +
first pass at potential scenarios....... largely so that we have a wider
view of who the stakeholders might be (as opposed to who they are now), so
that we ensure we really do have 'the whole system in the room' for the big
event/work.

so enough for now.......

all the best Pat

Romy