Seeking counsel on how to introduce OS in a very short time

Partnow, Susan Susan4Ps at aol.com
Tue Feb 15 12:09:27 PST 2000

I am seeking counsel on how to introduce a group to OS in a very short time.
Through conversations with the group, I have now negotiated the possibility
of working with them for 3 hours (vs. the original 1.25).  One key piece of
information was unclear in my original posting: this group draws managers and
CEOs from a range of organizations.  who only come together once a month for
this Round Table breakfast meeting, which is a support group/learning forum
for them ("Ideas, Learning & Partnering").  It is a small group - about 16
participants.  They typically have two speakers (!) - usually in the form of
sharing a case study.  I would like to introduce them to OST and stimulate
their interest to find ways to bring it to their organizations -thus my goal
is educational and yes, marketing!

When Peg Holman first shared my question, your sage counsel helped me set
clear boundaries.  I liked the suggestion of introducing the general concept
and then doing the set-up -- in a circle, up to and including posting topics-
plus showing the US West film.  It seems like a fun, enlivening and
reasonable way to use this brief opportunity to expose the group to OS.  Now
the organizer has come back offering more time (3 hours) plus a request, "…to
explore competencies/performance management issues in a facilitated
session.....it would be great if we could design something around this topic
(I think people want to find out what other member companies are doing, how
competencies are used strategically, share information and brainstorm
together...)."

1) Does the idea of engaging people in a brief 3 hour OS meeting around this
topic seem like a feasible and effective way to introduce OST?
2) Would you recommend one 'longer' OS session time or two short ones, i.e. 1
x 90 or 2 x 45 minutes?   (Total group size is about 16)
3) How does this time frame seem:  45 minutes introduction, opening the
circle and setting up marketplace, 90 minutes in meetings (1 x 90 or 2/ 45),
30 minutes closing, 15 minutes brainstorming potential applications of OS to
their organizations.
4) This design omits use of the film:  what do you think?
5) How would you frame this topic as a 'focus question'?
6) Any suggestions on simple ways to convey the concept of OS for their
meeting announcement/invitational flyer?

I have experienced many OS meetings and I have led several - but I have not
really played this educational role of introducing the form as a tool.  I am
deeply appreciative for your suggestions!

(This meeting is set for May, so it will be a while before I can share the
outcome -- but I'll be sure to report back!)

THANK YOU,

Susan Partnow
Partnow Communications
4425 Baker NW