Assistance with first OS meeting

FamilyFirm at aol.com FamilyFirm at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 10:41:07 PST 2000

Nancie,
Once upon a time I sold the concept of hiring Harrison Owen to facilitate the
annual conference of my own professional association in OS.   The Board of
Directors (made up of Investment Bankers, Lawyers, CPA's, & Management
Consultants)  who made the decision found it helpful to be able to talk to
someone who had experienced OS with a similar group. I think it would also
help to share the guarantees that Harrison mentions in his recent email to
this list.

Regarding preparation to do it yourself.  The first time I lead an OS myself
it was on rather short notice.  I hired someone who was quite experienced to
consult with me as I prepared for it.  I find that leading OS is a process
with a great deal of subtlety.  Harrison makes it looks effortless, but
masters always make things look effortless.  Fro instance, I found that there
is much to learn about "Creating and Holding the Space". Many levels to it.
There is a great deal of tacit knowledge involved in facilitating OS that you
cannot obtain by reading.  It only comes through experience.  Much of it is
about managing onself.   My belief is that your chances of success will be
enhanced if you hire a mentor if you can't get to a training.  It is a very
good long term investment.
Joe
J Joseph Paul Consulting, LLC
10490 SW Eastridge, Suite 120